If I have ever truly been close to you, I have probably made you a mix CD (or even a mix tape) at some point in our relationship. I am a huge believer in playlists for every occasion, from breakups to weddings. It’s the best form of therapy, especially when combined with running.
So it’s no surprise that my baby has a few of her own. She absolutely loves music, and we’ve been listening to a whole lot of “Kids” Pandora stations so I can familiarize myself with the cool kids’ artists out there. Some of them are so good, I’ll download the albums and find myself listening to it even when she’s not around. I thought it’d be fun to share with you what we’re both jamming out to this summer.
- Laurie Berkner Band – “I’m Gonna Catch You” (morning) and “Goodnight” (bedtime). I just love this group for their whimsical, upbeat style.
- Raffi – Baby Beluga (anytime), Bathtime (bathtime), De Colores (anytime) and “Like Me and You” (bedtime). I remember listening to Baby Beluga as as little girl and loving it. All of Raffi’s songs are so soothing, and I can definitely appreciate how multicultural they are.
- Alison Krauss – “Baby Mine” (bedtime). It makes me tear up it’s so sweet, but that’s why we love it. Her voice is also just so pure and lovely.
- Jewel – “Sov Gott (Sleep Well)” and “Sweet Dreams for You” (bedtime). Love her “Lullaby” album.
- Angus & Julia Stone – Just a Boy (train rides)
- The Shins – Simple Song (anytime)
- Florence + The Machine – Shake It Out (working out, anytime I’m frustrated)
- The Black Keys – Gold on the Ceiling (working out, anytime I need to get pumped up)
- Eels – Lone Wolf (train rides)
- The Head and the Heart – Lost In My Mind (chilling out)
- Ray LaMontagne – Jolene (chilling out)
- Pete Yorn – Paradise Cove (one of my all-time favorite artists)
- No Doubt – Settle Down. “Tragic Kingdom” was one of the first albums I ever owned, and the band just keeps getting better. Plus Gwen Stefani is a goddess.
Any great songs I should add to my playlist? Or Lucie’s?